Friday, March 19, 2010

Evolution of the Hipster


I've been telling myself for a while now that I would write a blog post about the lifecycle of a hipster (whatever that means nowadays). However I found the image above on another blog (The JT Paradox, to be exact) that quintessentially describes all that I wanted to write and more. It kind of reminds me of a guy I knew in high school who practically went through all of these stages in one year... talk about an identity crisis or the mark of a really insecure guy who feels like he has to change himself every few months in order to fit in with a group of people who probably think he's got a weird personality disorder behind his back!

Anyway, back to the point, I know there's a lot of who-ha about the pressures pressures of fitting in to one of these social archetypes in order to be seen as edgy, arty, cool, and dare I say it "unique", but the truth of the matter is, most of us subconsciously fall into one of these genres without even knowing it. Society just puts a label on groups of people who are basically just being themselves, which ultimately sparks this need in adolescents to change their personalities in order to fit a certain label. It's like a vicious cycle of doubt and self worth (wow, what an angsty sentence).

Ok so enough of my ranting. I guess the moral of the story is, LABELS ARE BAD! the end.

PS: click on picture to enlarge =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment